RE: Educational Displays

In our Region 11 shows here in Boise, Idaho we have had educational displays. One used drawings and information of all the different classes along with flower examples of as many different ones as we could put out. The whole display table was judged as one entry. The early show they could not put out as many flowers since they were not blooming but the information is put out. The later show has as many examples as could be found. I have contributed flowers to this display several times. Usually the species or other type not grown in all gardens. Another display done by a youth was showing in a hands on way how to plant iris. Done with a big plastic tub full of dirt and plants trimmed and ready to plant. This was demonstrated a number of times during the day to interested people attending the show. We allowed youth members of one local club to use our cameras during a show and then took some of their better photos and put them on our website. The brother and sister team who tried this had a great time. The photos were very good. Young people see different things than adults. We have also used display only flowers of good quality on a table as a visual attraction to the show. Artistic arrangements also catch the eye of the public and good placement of that part of the show can draw a crowd. I think that encouraging educational displays is a good idea but be sure and ask the members of the club before a show how much area a display may need. Keeps the show day less of a hectic moment for the show chairman.
Carol Coleman
C. Iris On Pond
Region 11 Boise, Idaho