To: "iris- talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:38 AM
Subject: [iris] HYB: seed germination

I can't find the messages, but recently someone asked or commented about
relevance of timing of seed germination when so many other factors
affect ... something.. survival?  Or maybe keeping track was too
difficult?

I've been curious about the timing of germination in relation to
survival and bloom time and wasn't able to find out much when I asked
previously, maybe because it is hard to keep track of when individual
seeds germinate, especially when handling a lot of seedlings.

All I was able to find out before is that pinks and plicatas tend to
germinate more "easily" than other crosses.  I don't know if that means
they have higher germination rates? requre less chilling? germinate more
rapidly at lower temperatures (i.e., earlier in the spring) or what.

Also some thoughts that later germinating seeds (later the same year)
might be seedlings that bloom later in the spring.

If you have time and inclination to keep track of such things, I'd be
interested in what you find out.

I've not done much of a job tracking that myself, but am trying to keep
first and second year germinants separated for comparison.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8