Re: HYB: Another bearded X Iris tectorum seedling

>Linda Mann wrote:
>Congratulations, Tom.  Very encouraging.
>How long were the seeds in the fridge?
>If it was less than three
>months, maybe I'd better go find
>the pot that had my tectorum x seeds
>and bring it indoors.  Forgot all about it.
>Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8

>Walter Pickett wrote:
>Congratulations, Tom.
>How soon do y9ou think you'll
>be offering any of them?

Thanks for sharing in my excitement, guys. If I'm
remembering right, the bag said Aug 2005. It's still
in the fridge - I'll have to check that date. It has a
few more seeds that look just as well-developed as the
one that germinated. They still aren't as round and
plump as seeds from normal bearded X bearded crosses.
But, most of the seeds were shriveled to the point of
looking totally hopeless, so I'm happy with
half-developed ones.

As for eventual distribution... I've given 'Flying
Dragon' to Iris City Gardens for testing and hopefully
later introduction. It's a larger plant for me, than
'Paltec', and increases fairly well; but I've had a
terrible time with borers -- and they really socked it
to my potted 'Flying Dragon'. Unfortunately, I had ALL
of it growing in pots. Now I've got all the surviving
pieces planted in the ground, and also have given a
big piece to my sister -- she's much better at growing
irises than I am -- they just love her (and so do I
The newest seedlings haven't even bloomed yet, so
they'll be a little while before introduction. From
the looks of it though, the purple-based-foliage
seedling is gonna be the fastest, most vigorous
grower, by far. It's got leaf blades coming out now,
that are about an inch wide. Luckily, it's also the
one I'm most excited to see bloom.
Thanks again for your interest and encouragement, Tom