Re: SHOW: Advance Prep

Griff's suggestion is a very good one, regarding filling out the tags in
advance.  It is very helpful if the sponsoring club will pass out tags  &
schedules in advance of the show.  Our Tucson club does so & I  take full advantage.
 I start cutting stalks several days in advance & put a  paper label on each
stalk with the name of the cultivar, then I fill out  the entry tag
completely.  It also helps to do some of the grooming  ahead, like any leaf trimming
The morning of show - after the major stress, which is just getting  the
irises there undamaged - I just have to get them into the containers,  give them a
last once-over & attach the corresponding tag.  I always  have a few I've cut
that just don't end up making it to the table, so I have a  few wasted tags -
but not many,
It's very important to remember to remove the paper label - something  I have
occasionally missed doing in the rush to get them all in!  VERY  tacky to
exhibit an iris with a paper label hanging off of a branch!!  <grin>
I love irises & I love shows - all aspects of shows.  I love  exhibiting,
judging and just seeing shows.  Watching people ooh and aah  & answering
questions is very satisfying.  Signing up a new  member and possibly addicting someone
else with the "iris virus" is  exciting.
 My favorite part of our shows??? At tear down, I save a few my best  winners
to take home & then start giving away iris stalks to  passersby.  Most of
them can't believe they're free & the kids  carry them off like some kind of
Kathy Chilton
Tucson, AZ