From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
Ranchiris@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, February 08, 2006 10:13 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] Re: SHOW: Advance Prep

Griff's suggestion is a very good one, regarding
filling out the tags in advance.  It is very
helpful if the sponsoring club will pass out tags
& schedules in advance of the show.  Our Tucson
club does so & I  take full advantage.

 I start cutting stalks several days in advance &
put a  paper label on each stalk with the name of
the cultivar, then I fill out  the entry tag
completely.  It also helps to do some of the
grooming  ahead, like any leaf trimming needed.

The morning of show - after the major stress,
which is just getting  the irises there undamaged
- I just have to get them into the containers,
give them a last once-over & attach the
corresponding tag.  I always  have a few I've cut
that just don't end up making it to the table, so
I have a  few wasted tags - but not many,

It's very important to remember to remove the
paper label - something  I have occasionally
missed doing in the rush to get them all in!  VERY
tacky to exhibit an iris with a paper label
hanging off of a branch!!  <grin>

I love irises & I love shows - all aspects of
shows.  I love  exhibiting, judging and just
seeing shows.  Watching people ooh and aah  &
answering questions is very satisfying.  Signing
up a new  member and possibly addicting someone
else with the "iris virus" is  exciting.

 My favorite part of our shows??? At tear down, I
save a few my best  winners to take home & then
start giving away iris stalks to  passersby.  Most
of them can't believe they're free & the kids
carry them off like some kind of treasure.

Kathy Chilton
Tucson, AZ