Re: RE: Re: SHOW: Advance Prep

Hello Char, I've used a couple different methods.  The basic one that I used
was very simple, basic show vases in a milk crate seperated  by rolled up
newspaper.  It's pretty crude, but if put together firmly, it's not too bad.  A
better type is a small bucket, filled halfway with sand and water just above
the sand.  It works really good to keep them from tipping over, and you can
direct the stalks.  Put the bucket in the vehicle first, then stick the stalks, that
way you don't have to get the whole thing through the door of the vehicle (if
you have a car it's worse).  I drive a taurus and the back seat doesn't have
much room, I put the bucket in the floor and have the stalks pointing towards
the back window.
I can get much taller stalks in this way.  When the container is in the back
seat they can't be very tall, and the seat isn't level.
This year our local club is having an early show.  I'm excited to be able to
show SDB's and IB's.  I'm always nervious of the weather around showtime,
I've cut them early and kept them in the fridge to avoid a hailstorm.  I think
the best thing at the show is seing the variation of blooms, all being iris with
the differences of size, substance, form and color.  This year I plan to show
some seedlings for the first time.  Something important with that is not to
remove spent flowers on seedlings, the judge counts the buds.  Looking
forward to this year and wondering how stuff is going to do with the drought
and weird winter we've had here.
Will Warner
SW MO