Re: SHOW: Advance Prep

In a message dated 2/8/2006 5:12:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
cholte@wi.rr.com writes:

<<How do you transport your Iris to the show.  What kind of  containers?
In her "Iris in the Little Garden" (1927) Mrs. McKinney speaks of using  the
long ventilated cardboard boxes used by wholesalers to ship flowers  to
florists. She shows a drawing of one sucb box rigged out with  a few crosspieces of
cotton twill tape in a sling or hammock  arrangement. The idea is that the
stalks are placed therein and the lid  tied back on for transport.
I always thought this looked like a potentially useful idea,  and because I
must give a talk on irises several score  miles away in May and drive a Volvo
wagon, I was real excited  to find just such a box some weeks ago. Florists
just toss the packaging out,  or at least the one who gave me the box does.
There is some question in my mind about how to protect the actual open
blossoms with this method--I am thinking about making some tissue paper
Elizabethan ruffs or one of those cone things the vet put on my  cat Greymalkin so she
would not scratch her booboo --but I figured  I'd play with the box when I had
some actual stalks and see what Ella was  talking about. One thing she was
talking about was transporting pre-1927  irises, but then so am I, more or less,
and probably less given the date  of the event.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA