Re: Iris Show exhibits

Hmmm, Robert, I think even your fairly simple objective has two sides.  You clearly think that the purpose of a show should be to promote the iris as a garden plant... possibly interest new people in irises enough to join AIS.  That question of what it takes to create more members for AIS is, if I remember correctly, how this whole thread got started.  This is a noble goal... but I doubt that shows are going to increase AIS membership.
  Ultimately is a show really for the benefit of AIS... or more for the benefit of the growers/breeders.    If the stated purpose is, as Anner has said, to display the best... well, Joe Public Off the Street isn't going to know the difference.  Joe is more like when Bambi met Flower.  Thumper can stand there all day and tell Prince Bambi that that skunk stinks, but Bambi is still going to think he's a sweet smelling flower.  Is it really fair to impose our standards on Joe if all he wants is sumthin' purdy?  Yet as long as there are standards to judge by that is exactly what we do.
  I wonder if a show could be a 'members only' event and you could find ways to introduce and educate about irises at some other forum.... like maybe something that's already a draw... a garden show... parade of homes....such like that.  Then you would have something for members to do who maybe aren't interested in shows at all....
  better cut off before I get too distracted...
Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  I couldn't find it when I first looked, although I had
a vague recollection of it being there. See p39-40.
But even though this Entry under Educational division
is concise and good, Perhaps it deserves more
prominance. It is really a valuable non-competitive
part of a show, and it does what I think a show should
emphasize--Promoting Iris.