Re: Iris Show exhibits

In a message dated 2/9/2006 9:01:50 P.M. Central Standard Time,
flatnflashy@yahoo.com writes:

<<.... like maybe something that's already a draw... a garden  show... parade
of homes....such like that.>>
Christian, I can't speak for other shows, or other clubs, but our iris  show
has this type of a draw.  We've been doing it for 20 years, and quite
successfully.  It's a big event.  Most years it is the best show in  the region.  We
have many seasoned exhibitors.  Good seasons we'll run  around 200-300
horticultural entries.  Last year was a bad year and we  still had around 100
entries.

We have connections to the local garden club.  They provide design
competition with 16 or 20 entries.  It's symbiotic.  They get points  and we get added
appeal.

There's the display garden in front of the school. We maintain around  300
cultivars.  Beautiful for weeks and open to the public.  Someone  occasionally
helps themselves to a rhizome or clump, but not as bad as has  happened at
other gardens.

Recently our rhizome sale is almost as big.  It funds our show and  other
activities.  We've settled down to the same location for something  like 10 years
or better (both) and we advertise well.  The show and the  sale work
together.

We talk to a lot of people.  Some even join the local club.   Can't say how
many join the AIS through our activities.  Just because I'm  not the one that
keeps the records.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: