To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, February 09, 2006 11:05 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] Bulletin changes

In your AIS bulletin, The Editor has done a very
brave thing. He has asked for your opinion. After the
list of judges he notes that there is a suggestion to
remove such business from the bulletin. To elaborate,
many societies have a supplement that comes with their
bulletin that contains business of the society. It is
printed on less expensive paper and allows them to
have more of the interesting articles in their
journals while the business items are presented in a
less expensive format. The editor is asking for your
response to this idea. I would like to see an open
discussion here also. My guess is that new and
potential members are really not interested in this
information and that it detracts from the journal such
that they dont renew. The numbers of new members we
get each year is astounding, but we seem to be loosing
almost all within the first year. While the Bulletin
is attractive to old-timers, I suspect it turns off
many new members by the amount of organizational stuff
that they have little interest in. While it has been
suggested that these things could be moved to the
website, I believe simply providing and organizational
supplement could solve the problem, it could provide
even more for our members, and help to us improve our
product so that more people would continue as members.
Unfortunately it is very hard to survey the huge
numbers that quit after a year.