Re: HYB: seed germination & bloom season

I'm curious too.  I'd like to know what percentage of seedlings from two
late season bloomers are late bloomers.

While most of my crosses have involved either one late season (or a
rebloom) parent, the majority of my surviving seedlings are early to
early midseason bloomers.  If the late season germinants are also the
late season bloomers, I suspect late season germination conditions are
not good enough here - I've gotten distracted by spring and haven't been
paying enough attention to keeping seed pots watered through dry spells
or it's gotten too hot (i.e., above 70oF) before they've had a chance.

What you learn may not have wide applicability, but we all fuss around
with pollen daubing for a variety of reasons.  I have zero interest in
formal shows, but experimenting is fun.  And winter is a great time for
it for me as well.  Seeing a new cross germinate on a dreay mid-winter
day is a great lift to the spirit.

<This very question/ perception about first germinants being first
bloomers, or earlier season bloomers is why I am marking the order of
all my germinants. ... Christian>

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8