Re: Iris Show exhibits

In Dallas we have a nice, friendly group of members who talk to the guests at the show and we do get some new members that way, but I think we get most of our new ones at the iris sales in the fall.   We give them written information on care and planting, and tell them about the information they will get at the meeting programs.
                                                         Pat in Dallas

Robt R Pries <rpries@sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Shows can and are ways of introducing people to iris
and gaining new members. We have been successful in
that regard in St Louis at times. But a lot depends on
the people manning the show and how they react to the
public. As in most any activity the results have a lot
to do with how something is carried out. Two clubs
could have exactly the same show, but how the members
working it do in gaining membersm is a very individual
thing. Nonetheless it is only one venue that allows
contact with the public. The opportunities arise but
may not be fulfilled. A show can fulfill the
competitive urges of members and still be a welcomomhg
experience for new potential members.The best
situations probably fulfill a multitude of needs. I am
not suggesting that shows are THE answer to more
members. For a society to prosper there must be many
reasons to join and each new member may have an
entirely different reason than the next. The strength
of the society is in its ability to accommodate the
largest diversity of interests.