Re: Bulletin changes

Don't forget that members must contribute material to the editor for the bulletin to have articles of interest to all. I do not feel I can complain about the content because I have not submitted anything for publication. The editor has to depend upon others to contribute interesting material and, if they do not do so, use whatever material is available at the time the bulletin must go to press. The hybridizers seem to have been the main contributors, some photos are submitted and most seem to be from hybridizers too. I know there are members who just grow iris because they love them, who do a bit of pollen daubing, enjoy photographing iris, who love the many different kinds of iris and want to see how they grow in their garden conditions, those who have heard certain iris will not grow in the conditions available in their yard and who love the challenge of trying to grow them and then there are the "pollen daubers" or those who like to plant and grow the OPs just to see what they produce. Wouldn't you be interested in some of these things if someone wrote about them? We are made up of people who grow for an enormous number of reasons so perhaps some of you could produce some articles or photos for the bulletin. If you feel intimidated because you think your writing skills are not polished enough to be published ask someone else to review the article before you submit it. The editor will make any corrections necessary after the material is submitted.
Articles by the end growers are also useful to the hybridizers who depend upon the public to purchase their introductions.
Many members like to be entertained by a few articles that are written about the enjoyment of iris and iris people. I love the photographs of people and stories about them, their gardens, their hybridizing, their growing conditions and their furred, feathered and other animal visitors. I am sure there are a great number of people who are AIS members who would enjoy them too so how about submitting some articles to Bruce for future bulletins? They might encourage readers to share these stories with others, including youngsters, and that might help to make them interested in growing iris. Youngsters like to be entertained as they learn about flowers and the world around them. Look how Jimminy Cricket, Mickey Mouse and Bambi influenced youngsters. We consider those three "critters" to be pests while the youngsters took them into their hearts. Perhaps some talented story teller could write about mama, papa and baby iris in such a way that the very youngest prospective grower would aspire to grow iris. If we get more youngsters interested in growing iris we have more potential AIS members and our bulletin will continue to be interesting to the readers. These are just ideas I am tossing out, I am not criticizing anyone's taste in bulletin paper, number of pages, authors etc. just hoping that something will spark a larger idea in some of you and that you will act upon your idea.

Patti in Region 13

Autmirislvr@aol.com wrote:

Don't forget to email Bruce with your opinion. Writing here isn't enough!