Re: Bulletin changes

Hmm, could this be true?  Is the Bulletin really comprised of contributed articles?
  Methinks I had better step up to this plate.  I will volunteer to write an article about someones garden....in Kentucky or lower Indiana...  if they don't want to write it.  Of course this is rather self serving since I'm trying to start writing....  If someone will volunteer to be the subject.
  Perhaps I might even be able to sniff out a story...   SIX PACK was bred here locally...<vbg>  <thumbing through checklist to check>... Ack! in my husbands very own home town!!!!    Maybe Uncle Willie even knew him..... Willie seems to have known everybody...

Patricia Wenham <h.schinkep@verizon.net> wrote:
  Don't forget that members must contribute material to the editor for the
bulletin to have articles of interest to all. I do not feel I can
complain about the content because I have not submitted anything for
publication. The editor has to depend upon others to contribute
interesting material and, if they do not do so, use whatever material is
available at the time the bulletin must go to press. The hybridizers
seem to have been the main contributors, some photos are submitted and
most seem to be from hybridizers too. I know there are members who just
grow iris because they love them, who do a bit of pollen daubing, enjoy
photographing iris, who love the many different kinds of iris and want
to see how they grow in their garden conditions, those who have heard
certain iris will not grow in the conditions available in their yard and
who love the challenge of trying to grow them and then there are the
"pollen daubers" or those who like to plant and grow the OPs just to see
what they produce. Wouldn't you be interested in some of these things
if someone wrote about them? We are made up of people who grow for an
enormous number of reasons so perhaps some of you could produce some
articles or photos for the bulletin. If you feel intimidated because
you think your writing skills are not polished enough to be published
ask someone else to review the article before you submit it. The editor
will make any corrections necessary after the material is submitted.

Articles by the end growers are also useful to the hybridizers who
depend upon the public to purchase their introductions.

Many members like to be entertained by a few articles that are written
about the enjoyment of iris and iris people. I love the photographs of
people and stories about them, their gardens, their hybridizing, their
growing conditions and their furred, feathered and other animal
visitors. I am sure there are a great number of people who are AIS
members who would enjoy them too so how about submitting some articles
to Bruce for future bulletins? They might encourage readers to share
these stories with others, including youngsters, and that might help to
make them interested in growing iris. Youngsters like to be entertained
as they learn about flowers and the world around them. Look how Jimminy
Cricket, Mickey Mouse and Bambi influenced youngsters. We consider
those three "critters" to be pests while the youngsters took them into
their hearts. Perhaps some talented story teller could write about
mama, papa and baby iris in such a way that the very youngest
prospective grower would aspire to grow iris. If we get more youngsters
interested in growing iris we have more potential AIS members and our
bulletin will continue to be interesting to the readers. These are just
ideas I am tossing out, I am not criticizing anyone's taste in bulletin
paper, number of pages, authors etc. just hoping that something will
spark a larger idea in some of you and that you will act upon your idea.

Patti in Region 13