Re: CULT: Murphey's, Oil, and Borer

I had been a Cygon user for many years, but have used Merit granular, instead, for two seasons now. I never had many borers while using Cygon, but have had fewer using Merit. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 11:31 AM
Subject: [iris] CULT: Murphey's, Oil, and Borer

In a message dated 2/11/2006 11:16:58 AM Eastern Standard Time,
jijones@usjoneses.com writes:

If it is the oil that kills the borers (I imagine by suffocating them)
then perhaps a good solution (no pun intended) would be SunSpray
Ultra-Fine Oil. It is an ultra refined parafinc oil. I use it here in
California to control Whitefly. Pests don't develop an immunity to it
because of the way it works. Non-toxic.

They don't list any borers o\r the like, but that just means they
haven't tested it.

And that is an idea that appeals to me, too. In fact I've thought for years
that dormant oil might be the way to go for borer.

I use SunSpray a lot here, too. One thing it is superb for is doing the deed
on some houseplants before bringing them in for the winter. I have a ten
foot tall Laurus nobilis--culinary bay tree--a five foot bay standard, a three
foot female bay standard, a kumquat, some XFatshedera and ivy, and a gardenia
standard which are all prone to cooties in the house, notably scale of one
nasty sort or another. I spray them down twice before bringing them and have
few problems.

There are heavier weights of horticultural oil that are used on one or
another sorts of plants outside, with limitations as to season and conditions, and
they could also have some potential as a borer treatment. The way I see it,
if the eggs are in nooks and crannies at the base of the dormant fans--the
only place they could be since one has so scrupulously cleaned up the debris in
the bed ( :>)--then getting a good deal of dormant oil running down into
those places could just get some or all of them.

Assuming, of course, that the eggs of the borer are among those which are
actually smothered by such a treatment--are there some inselct eggs which are
not? anyone know?

What is the deal on Cygon these days? Wasn't it taken off the market? What
is AIS 'officially' suggesting for borer now, if anything, other than good
garden hygiene, Merit?

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA Z7

Checked by AVG Free Edition.