AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership

In a message dated 2/9/2006 11:09:17 PM Eastern Standard Time,
rpries@sbcglobal.net writes:

<< My guess is that new and potential members are really not  interested in
this
information and that it detracts from the journal such  that they dont
renew. The numbers of new members we get each year is  astounding, but we seem to
be loosing almost all within the first year. While  the Bulletin is attractive
to old-timers, I suspect it turns off many new  members by the amount of
organizational stuff
that they have little  interest in.

I would like to respond to some of these points. It will be seen  that I
interpret the situation differently  in several significant particulars. Mine is
just one member's  opinion.

First, I want to observe that in my experience significant  numbers of the
"new" members which are being "lost" each year were  probably really not there
to begin with. They did not join of their own  volition, fueled by an interest
in irises. They were given their  memberships, either as gifts, or as
promotional incentives by Affiliates or  individuals, or they were signed up at
someone's expense to increase the  membership rolls of a local group, or they were
signed up because someone  thought giving a membership to a local nursery
center or a newspaper columnist  was a good idea. We hear ideas put forth all the
time about giving away  memberships as a means to exciting the public or
getting the message  out, so we should not be surprised that some or most of  these
people do not renew. We may rightly say that we have failed to  win them over,
possibly that they were even driven away, but I think it  is well to be
realistic about the situation and the odds in these  cases. Members also drop at
the two year, the three year, the five year,  and the tenth year point, and I
would be more concerned about those  losses. It is just as important to keep the
excitement going for  the continuing--read sustaining--members as it is to
create  excitement for new ones.

Second, I do not think having business material in the Bulletin has  anything
to do with the losses. I suspect people turn away from the magazine  not
because of what they find there, but what they do not find: Items  which reflect
their own interests and what they want from the society,  and everyone wants
something. The problem is that they don't always want  what the Society can
provide, or what the Society itself needs them to  want, which is to be active,
engaged participatory members,  informed members who are actually interested in
the business of the Society,  contributing members who want to know what is
being decided by and about the  organization, that community of people they have
joined.

Were I able to wave a magic wand to make one change in AIS it  would be this:
I would wish that every member would  fully understand that when we speak of
AIS we speak not of "they," as in  "they keep printing stuff in the Bulletin
which does not appeal to  me....they keep raising the dues and not giving me my
dollar's worth...they  are not getting the news of the Dykes winner out to
the media...I don't  know why they don't do more for the young...they keep
pushing bearded irises at the expense of others...they don't meet my  needs." Nor
do we, as members, accurately speak of AIS as "you" as in "you are  losing
members" or "you have a membership problem" or "you are not meeting my  needs and
expectations" There is no They among members; there is no You.  The word in
most of these instances must be  "We," although often it is "I."

There is a Board, yes, and administrative agencies at various levels,  but
AIS is not just these people, these members. AIS  is the membership as a whole,
each one of whom is ideally a supporter of  the Society's mission and a
contributing member of the whole, according to  their abilities, resources,
circumstances, and interests. That, I  believe, is what joining AIS means.

Unfortunately, many folks see opting for membership in AIS as a  consumer
issue, like buying a warranted product, as opposed to joining in  an activity, or
entering a venue for self education. Declaring  that AIS, or the Bulletin, is
not delivering on the dollar is to  define membership as a product, and I
deplore it.

I believe AIS has to some extent failed in its mission to educate,  by which
I mean not failed to define a vital position for itself in the world  of
contemporary horticulture, although arguably it has also not  distinguished itself
in that regard. I mean that it has failed to educate  its own members as to
the purpose of the organization, or purposes,  for the mission is defined in
broad and noble terms in  which most irisarians can find some posture which
mirrors  their own. It is a set of goals of which all sorts of members  can be
proud. The AIS mission is stated in the first paragraphs of the Bylaws,  and
rewards rereading from time to time.

In neglecting to orient its rhetoric, and to some extent its  activity,
toward its mission, AIS-- and here I am speaking of its  leadership, elected and
otherwise, at all levels of the Society-- has, I  believe, drifted from its
centering, its focus. The gyroscope has  fallen off the pin. The Society has
become  introverted, preoccupied with and defensive about what it sees  as tumbling
membership figures, and overly solicitous of the individual  needs of its
members, some of which, it must be said, members must  be expected to meet for
themselves.

I am reminded here of an interesting observation made by Violet Walker,  the
second president of the Garden Club of Virginia, the organization  which
undertakes to put on Historic Garden Week in Virginia, and with the  proceeds
restores the gardens of historic shrines in the  Commonwealth. Violet Walker, who
was a superb gardener and writer and  editor, a friend of Elizabeth Lawrence,
and a member of AAIS from 1923 on, in  remembering the first days of her
organization in the 1920s, said that it  was clear pretty early on that they were
going to have to have a  cause to believe in, a focus for their activity, if the
group  was going to survive and amount to anything. I think this observation
bears remembering.

AIS needs to remember who she is, and she needs to celebrate  this awareness
and draw her strength from it. She should  testify to her own worth and
righteousness at all opportunities, and in  all venues open to her, and then make
new opportunities. AIS' public face  needs to be, as I have said so often, a
cheerful, affirmative,confident and  welcoming one. Not a defensive or woebegone
or whining or  defeatist one. Surely I am not the only one who does not want
to be part  of that sort of scene, or have all the others left by now? AIS
needs  to attract kindred spirits, not seek to retrofit herself to accommodate
transient desiderata which may or may not be consistent with the best  interests
of the whole, short or long term.

Now, I think we are all aware that there are some problems  at the local
level so that some new members are "driven off." Or we  suspect that could be the
case because we keep hearing upsetting  stories, and rather a lot of them. It
appears that, lamentably, within  some areas of AIS there is ignorance not
only of the mission,  yes, but also of cordial social intercourse. This is not, I
 understand, a problem unique to the American Iris Society.

In life it will be seen that some persons denied any other outlet  for their
unwholesome cravings to bully others; or cause  mischief through destructive
gossip; or orchestrate public humiliation  for one poor soul or another; or
lord it over their peers on one or another  pretense; or otherwise stir things up
to alleviate whatever monkey  is on their own back, typically boredom, will
sniff out  organizations in which they can assuage their base frustrations, to
be thwarted only by the organization's self- cleansing mechanisms,  if any.
It seems obvious that any group which tolerates this sort  of behavior at any
level, top to bottom, which does not insist  that people behave in a civilized
manner, is likely to loose members. If  the social culture of AIS is broken,
we as AIS, are the ones who must fix  it.

Remember, in the end, the AIS you make must be equal to the AIS you  take.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA