To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:43 PM
Subject: Re: [iris] CULT: Murphey's and Borer

Being in borer free country, I don't have much knowledge of their life cycle, but as I understand it, they eat their way down in side the leaves and through the rhizome and out into the ground. There they metamorphcize into the moths that then lay their eggs on the leaves/detritus around the plant. The eggs hatch and they start crawling around looking for leaves to eat.

Seems that the oil might be effective in smothering the eggs (fall/spring application) and perhaps the small first stages of the worm/caterpiller/borer (spring application)

Musings from the uninformed.

John