To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [iris] Re: CULT: Murphey's and Borer

In a message dated 2/11/2006 11:51:02 PM Eastern Standard Time,
irischapman@netscape.net writes:

The Royal botanical Gardens in Burlington Ontario has a huge iris garden.
They had tried dormant oil with good success. the oil coats egg (of young
borer) and they can't breath through their skin, and die of suffoction. That is
how dormant oil works. It is one method of borer control they I sugest in my
talks to Hort societies.

Hoooray!

The straight dope from some pros! Oh, this is beyond marvelous! Chuck, when
do they spray and how often, in relation to the spring growth or whatever? Or
do they do it before the snow falls? I assume they are using the standard
weight stuff, rather than the ultra refined product Jones and I know as
SunSpray.

I had never even seen a borer until some woman in the next block brought in
a whole bunch of truly foul 'Nancy Orne" from a family spread in Connecticut.
Suddenly, one had borer. Showed up first in my white tectorum, of all
places. I dug a clump in October as part of a bed renovation project, and out
dropped a mature borer, all set to pupate! I put him in a pimento jar of alcohol
thinking I'd mail him to Lowe to photograph since the one Lowe had on the HIPS
page was all dark and this one was two inches long, bright pink, with a
chocolate colored head---oh, he was a splendidly loathesome bug!--- but
apparently dark is what happens when you drop them in alcohol.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA USDA Zone 7- 1920 Urban neighborhood