Re: AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership

In a message dated 2/12/2006 10:46:53 A.M. Central Standard Time,
ChatOWhitehall@aol.com writes:

<<<Members who approach the community solely as   consumers--purchasers of a
package of goods and services-- are not likely  to  feel included because
they are
not including themselves.  >>>
The iris world also has room for consumers.
I can appreciate that there are those we could never entice, simply  because
they don't find the iris or iris activities compelling.  But might  there be
individuals that fall into a marginal group?  People that would  include
themselves if the activities appealed to their personal  needs?
People have no problem stopping by our display garden or coming to our iris
shows.  Many find no problems with buying our rhizomes and thus  contributing
to the funding of our society.
Last Tuesday, I gave an iris program (mainly on rebloom) to a rural master
gardener's group of 25+.  Mainly the T-shirt, jeans and boots crowd.   There
was no lack of interest in the iris itself.  Most of these gardeners  grow
irises.  Many of them come to our shows and sales.  But none of  them belong to a
local group or the AIS.  Yet, they are quite active in  Master Gardeners.
About ten days before that I gave a similar program to the KY Garden
Council.  An entirely different group.  Many of these ladies take part  in our iris
shows, but in the Design categories.  They too love irises, but  only as a part
of the total garden.  Those that need to meet council  requirements join the
AIS.  Only one regularly shows irises in the  horticulture part of our show.

<<I'm not talking about you, Betty, I'm just thinking aloud about  what  you
asking. >>

Anner, I appreciate the distinction.  Truly, I do.  My level of  involvement
is quite high at the moment!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: