Re: iris DIGEST V1 #630

I thought I would get my two cents in about membership.  I am a new member of AIS and also belong to the American Rose Society and the American Hemerocallis Society.  I am an avid gardener and iris, roses and daylilies are my favorite perenniels to grow.  I love to grow plants but am not interested in hybridizing.

  One of the main reasons I belong to these societies is for the monthly/quarterly magazines and in the case of the American Rose Society, its annual.  I particularly enjoy reading about new things and what other people are doing in growing their plants.  My favorite publication is The Daylily Journal.  It has very little business in it and is chocked full of articles on how to grow daylilies and the different ways people deal with disease, fertilization, etc.  My favorite part of this part of this publication is exerpts from the many round robins.

  The Bulletin of the American Iris Society is my least favorite publication.  It contains a lot of business and very few articles by its general membership.

  I also belong to the Historic Iris Preservation and enjoy their quarterly publication Roots immensely.  I guess the main reason I enjoy this publication so much is because I am an avid lover of historic iris.  There is very little business but there are many articles and pictures by many different people.

  All organizations are loosing members.  People are more involved in other things than their participation is societies.  I believe this is the key to keeping people.  Somehow getting people involved is essential in keeping members.

  Barrie Freeman
  Northern California
  zone 9

iris DIGEST <iris-owner@hort.net> wrote:

iris DIGEST Sunday, February 12 2006 Volume 01 : Number 630

In this issue:

RE: [iris] CULT: Murphey's and Borer
[iris] Re: CULT: Murphey's and Borer
Re: [iris] AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership
Re: [iris] AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership
[iris] Re: AIS: membership & friendship
Re: [iris] AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership
Re: [iris] AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership
Re: [iris] Re: CULT: Murphey's and Borer