OT: Weather

Yesterday or the day before, I was mentioning leaf-spot as the penalty for
January's warmth.  Today, we are digging out from under a 9-inch overnight
snowfall that has continued fitfully, intermixed with sunshine, since about 11
a.m.  Tried to get to early church, as usual (7:30), but downed trees
completely blocked the road south towards Mount Vernon.  Thought I'd outsmart
Mother Nature by backtracking and going around the head of Little Hunting
Creek to the west, but found that road blocked by a tree and a car in the
ditch that had tried to go around it.  The neck of land on which we live is so
extensive that most folks forget it's a peninsula until something like this
happens.  Too late for church at that point, so decided to drive north and
have breakfast.  Made it to the 9 o'clock service, after parishioners and the
county (wonder of wonders!) had cleared the roads.  Congregation tucked in one
corner of the church with no PA sytem, no heat and just a couple of lights.
Apparently on generator.  Only about 100 folks there  --  usually several
times that.  Counted eight trees on the road in a 5-mile stretch, mostly
pines.  A friend called..  Big tree down in his front yard and his power out.
Our planned trip to Maryland today cancelled.  I was lucky  --  a short power
outage around 2 a.m. and just a few branches down.   Moved the car out from
under the big oak, just in case.  --  Griff