AIS: Bulletin changes

Another quick responce
----- Original Message -----
From: bfilardi@comcast.net

Hi Michael:

Thanks very much for your input!  Please post my reply on iris-hort as well,
if you don't mind....

I've forwarded your e-mail to the AIS Executive Officers, because I think you
have some good ideas.

However, re the idea of local shows being listed, that is something that your
Regional Newsletter should be doing.  We do that in Region 13, and if your own
Region does not list all the local shows in your Newsletter, you should
contact your RVP and tell him/her that you feel that that is important
information to be distributed to AIS members in your area!

The problems with a "Business Supplement" as it is being discussed on
iris-hort are both timing and money.  First of all, to issue a separate
Supplement would require someone to act as the "Editor" of that Supplement.
Perhaps we could find someone to volunteer, so then that problem would no
longer be a problem.  Next, unless that person is able to do all the
pre-publication layout for the Supplement, we would have to pay someone to do
that (my guess is approximately $1000, although that could be saved if the
Supplement Editor has the time and know-how to do it him/herself).  Then, the
Supplement would have to be printed.  It costs $800 to print the 6-page
Symposium Ballot each year, so I would guess that all the Business that we are
proposing to include in the Supplement would come to something like $7000 to
print (on plain paper like the Symposium Ballot), which would not include any
photos.  Next, there is the question of postage; posta

Last but not least, there is the question of timing.  If local shows were to
be listed, the Supplement would have to be prepared and mailed in January,
which would mean that the Supplement Editor would have to get all that info
from each local club throughout the country...  This just doesn't seem to be
possible!!  [That's why this particular responsibility is a job that the
Region must do.]  So, removing a local show listing from discussion, we must
still consider the timing.  If, for instance, the Supplement is to include the
listing of AIS judges, then it must be published in January or February; so
far so good.  But then if the Supplement is meant to include the list of AIS
Award Winners for the year (as I have heard discussed), that means that people
will not officially know the Dykes Medal Winner for 2005 until February of
2006 (as an example).  To include the updated list of Local Affiliates, it
would have to include the list from t

Printing costs could be lowered if we had the Supplement printed overseas, but
then there is a much greater amount of "lead time" needed for the AIS to get
all the info, in printable form, to the overseas printer, and then to have
that shipped back to the US for packaging and mailing.  This might be a good
way to go, but, again, timing is always something to keep in mind.

There are some very strong advantages to having a Supplement, but there is
also a lot of thought that has to go into the realities (cost and timing) of
publishing such a Supplement.  I know that the Board is seriously interested
in exploring this possibility, and suggestions and input are welcome!

Thanks again,

  From: "Michael D. Greenfield" <mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com>

  Robert Pries sugested I send this to you from an e-mail to iris-talk I

  Robert and others I think this is a great idea. I think the supplement would
be the best way.
  One thing would be to have the Regional shows and even local shows listed.
Many people can not afford the National. Going to a local show near them would
give them a chance to meet other iris growers.

  One very important thing AIS does not do is make it's existence known. I
could survey my whole city of 50,000+ and not find 25 people that would know
it exist. I have no idea of how to do it.

  Membership dues in the AIS for someone who grows 10 different iris is not
worth while. I get more information on the internet than I can from AIS. Still
it serves a purpose for me. In my area I seldom see any iris growing except
for some historics in over grown clumps. There are no iris clubs in the
southern half of Ohio.

  Mike Greenfield
  Member AIS

  From a more recent one: My choice to send

  Articles we would like to see

  Feel free to add to the list and when we get more we can forward it to Bruce

  1. Article for beginners on how belonging can benefit them. Meeting other
iris growers and sharing rhizomes. How to find the nearest iris club. Assure
them they don't have to grow 800 iris to enjoy being a member. A new member
could write such an article with their experience.

  2. Article on how it was in the old days. How hard it was to get new iris
and how much they cost.

  3. Not all of us are writers. Could we arrange for someone to edit their
article for grammar. This might help some get over their fear of writing one.

  4. I see many post for information on companion plants with very little
help. An article on this might be good.

  Feel free to add more.

  Mike Greenfield

  Mike Greenfield