Re: AIS: REF: The Bulletin as Our Historical Record

To me this means " If you are not a highly experienced iris grower you need not to join. When you get more experience we might allow you membership to our elite group. New iris grower need not apply, we stress sophistication"

Mike Greenfield
----- Original Message ----- From: <ChatOWhitehall@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 10:51 AM
Subject: [iris] AIS: REF: The Bulletin as Our Historical Record

I do not favor removal of the business matter of the Society to a second
publication, especially not a second publication of inferior physical quality. I
believe that, if anything, the business matter should actually be printed on
the superior stock and in the more permanent format.

I believe this for two reasons:

AIS desperately needs to encourage an informed, engaged, participatory
membership. This is not accomplished by sending a message, especially to new
members, that the business of the society is incidental to their pleasure and may
be overlooked, or discarded, at will; nor is it accomplished by frustrating
those members who do wish to be informed by multiplying the publications they
have to retain and consult in the course of making their contributions to the

Moreover, the business matter, by which I mean the Minutes, the lists of
people who have been approved as the Judges of the Society, Awards, the lists of
Affiliates, and so forth, is not trivial or transient or incidental
information. It is the record of the Society's activity in carrying forth its
mission. It should be
the official, the transparent, and the proud documentation of our Society's

In including such information in our Bulletin we not only make factual data
conveniently available to each and every member or scholar who may need it
now or later, we also record our ongoing collective history for those who will
carry the banner when we are gone.

I believe the business matter which we are given to understand some would
banish from our Bulletin is of tremendous and enduring importance and should be
treated accordingly.

"Bread and circuses" will not prove a wholesome diet for AIS.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA