Re: AIS: REF: The Bulletin as Our Historical Record

In a message dated 2/13/2006 11:57:17 AM Eastern Standard Time,
mgreenfield@cinci.rr.com writes:

To me  this means " If you are not a highly experienced iris grower you need
not  to join. When you get more experience we might allow you membership to
our  elite group. New iris grower need not apply, we stress  sophistication"

I regret that you read my post that way, Mike.

I don't believe I mentioned anyone's experience in Iris growing at all. And
I have never considered AIS an elite group. I consider it a very democratic
organization. I also claim my right to be part of it, and to express my
opinion on this matter, even if my own interests, or my own understanding  of these
issues, differs from yours or those of the majority  of AIS members.

You see, far from suggesting AIS should be a club for sophisticates, I  am
suggesting that AIS should be even more embracing to new people and  people of
all sorts of interests. I am suggesting it embrace them by  encouraging them to
understand the the Society and what it is doing. This is  essential because
if SOMEONE does not get interested in the business side  of AIS, there won't BE
people to carry on AIS' business.

I did not say, nor did I mean to imply, that other sorts  of materials should
not be published in the Bulletin, the sorts of articles  you have indicated
you are interested in reading, for instance. I don't think  there is any
question that enjoyable articles related directly to irises  are the mainstay of the
Bulletin and should remain so, although it is  obvious to me that there will
be some divergence of opinion about what is  and is not enjoyable. I
understand some folks even enjoy the business  parts!

What I said was I think publishing AIS' business in the AIS' Bulletin,  as
opposed to some sort of lesser pamphlet is important  both for  the health and
growth of the organization, and also because we need to publish  our history in
a dignified and enduring format. I stand by that statement.  I also have a
feeling this will prove the most economical way to go.

I have every confidence all these goals can be accomplished, and
accomplished well, because they were accomplished well for decades, as any  run of AIS
Bulletins will tell.

This is not the first time this sort of question has come up, of  course.
Back in 1996 there was a move to squeeze the minutes out of  the Bulletin. The
curious can read traces of the controversy in the  Archives of this list. It
will be seen that I am not the only member of AIS who  feels the way I do.

Please know I wish you only well, Mike.

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA