Re: AIS: Bulletins, Changes, Membership/Budget

 So there is a better understanding of my suggestion
to improve the bulletin/improve membership let point
out the treasurers report on p.67-68 of the bulletin.
If one reads the * then I think the following analysis
is correct.

we had about
$8000 in serendipitous income (Insurance
refund/donations) that we would not be able to count
on in the future. We also had $19,000 lower expenses
for the year in insurance than would be normal. So
barring these same type of gifts we would expect a
$27,000 deficit for the coming year. Given our $93,853
unrestricted reserve we have three years before we are
broke if nothing changes. Perhaps only two years if
our membership continues to drop at its present rate
of decline.

The change to a supplement is a small step and could
not be enacted until next year. If this fails to
reduce costs or stop the hemorrhage of membership then
we may only have one or two years left to try
something else. Given our dire circumstance, this
means we may have only one more year to experiment
before we cut the bulletin to two issues, half the
editors salary, and eliminate much that is in it. It
saddens me to think that some would rather wait for
the worst hoping something will change. Time is
running out and doing nothing is not an alternative.

To clarify my position; I think the bulletin could be
better and attract more members if it were changed as
suggested. I think we need to reduce costs
dramatically until we demonstrate what we have to
offer can bring in subscribers. The present situation
is not working. What I have suggested seemed the least
offensive solution. I appreciate there being a
historical archive but as we loose members there is
less money to support anything.

For those in the past who accuse the board of being
unresponsive, let me point out that I am a board
member and will pass on arguments both pro and con to
the board.