Re: AIS: Membership

Perhaps it was a poor way to phrase it. Typically, new members to such an
do not enter into the organization with altruistic motives. They pay their yearly
membership fee and wait to see what the value is. Most are not yet aware of the
services provided outside the obvious bulletin. If they do not find in it enough
interest or excitement they are not likely to renew. The appreciation of an
organization is likely to grow over time, and with many people only after they see
the value it provides for them. Yes, perhaps I am a bit cynical. I also think this
type of attitude is more (notice I said more and not typically) prevalent in the
under-35 age group. Instant gratification and cost/benefit ratio seems to occupy a
greater importance nowadays.

I don't think the business portion of the Bulletin is a detriment. I feel it is
well rounded, albeit typically more advanced than the run of the mill novice is
expecting. I did try to remember my impressions of my first exposure to the
Bulletin, and how I looked at it as a person new to a plant society, one who was
starved for information on a subject I was (and still am) highly interested in.
Some of my reactions changed over the years, some remained the same. I took Board
meeting minutes as the "well, they probably have to print these" the first time I
saw them to reading them with interest as I followed what was going on with the
society, and as I came to know some of the names involved. I still glaze over when
reading the flower arranging section, although I recognize that some find it
highly interesting. All these things have their place. I probably already had 300
irises when I joined. I was looking for cultural information and good sources to
buy irises. Perhaps there should be a small portion of each bulletin (maybe just
2-3 pages) in each issue focused on cultural and other "newbie" issues. Would it
be repetitive? Yes. Most things in the Bulletin are, albeit on a longer cycle. The
shelf behind my chair here at the computer has bulletins going back to 1962...most
subjects get revisited.
Anyway, I guess my long winded post is saying maybe we have to work harder to set
the hook in new members, and since the Bulletin is the main conduit, we need to
make it a bit more symbiotic.

John Bruce