Re: AIS: Membership

I thought John Bruce's point is particularly well
said. I have to note that envolvement in the Iris
society often does not mean people join the national.
I have been active in as many as six local clubs at
the same time. What i have seen is that usually 50% of
the local members who are part of the iris community
are not members of the national society. It would
probably not even be that high if there were not
requirements that to be affiliates clubs have to pay a
fee if their membership is less than 50%. Envolvement
in the iris community seems to not correlate with
supporting AIS. It has often amazed me that very
active local members would not join the national.
Often they comment that they don't care to get the
bulletin. Many are often very important in carrying
out local projects and their local membership is
greatly appreciated whether they join the national or
not. If envolvement were the criteria for maintaining
the society I doubt that we would exist. I am not a
younger member but I still believe products and
services are necessary although I have to admit that I
do not remain a member because I want the bulletin,
there have been issues that don't get read for
monthes, sometimes I gon't even get a chance to look
at the pictures. generally I find the section
bulletins and TBIS more interesting.