AIS: REF: Anner's Bulletin Suggestion

In a message dated 2/13/2006 11:35:56 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jbruce1@cinci.rr.com writes:

<<<Anyway, I guess my long winded post is saying maybe we have  to work
harder to set the hook in new members, and since the Bulletin is the  main conduit,
we need to make it a bit more  symbiotic.>>>

This seems a reasonable statement. Symbiotic is the right word all  right. My
own path of development as regards the Bulletin contents more or  less
mirrors John's, except that I read the first minutes and so forth  avidly, trying to
learn everything I could about the group as fast as I  could.  No one
recruited me to AIS, you see; I found my way  independently at a public library. I am
still pretty  independent.
I am not convinced the Bulletin is a problem with regard to new members
dropping, especially the business parts of same. Nor do I think it is  safe to
assume that new members are novice Iris growers, or novice gardeners,  or flower
society novices. I am getting the feeling, however, that some  old members are
getting bored with the Bulletin. I've said  for years the rag needed a gossip
But doing something special for new members would certainly not be  amiss,
especially if it was also something which was not boring to  old timers. This is
entirely feasible, and my suggestion won't cost one  red cent.
I think an ongoing column called Newcomer's Corner might be highly  useful
and nice. If it were only one page it probably could be in every issue  and not
freight the system overly. I see one, or  two pages occasionally, in which the
columnist talks in an  informal conversational tone about or around an issue
newcomers could  reasonably be expected to run into, always wrapping up with
an invitation  for members to send in questions or comments.
Topics? Maybe the sorts of stuff that would be a FAQ  here, labels; irises
changing color; squirrels and crows; transporting  some stalks to the show; when
and if to fertilize; spring weeds  in the bed and what to do about them; why
color charts don't work;  organic controls of pests and whether they do work;
manures and why all are  not considered equal; what to do when your order of
new irises arrives;  the pros and cons of buying at a local sale...and then
some Society stuff,  like what is the AIS Foundation, for whom were the various
medals named, what  are Sections and how are they different from Cooperating
Societies...the stuff  that folks seem confused or curious about.
Conversational tone, as I said, like Mr. Rogers: no question is  stupid and
you are among friends. Maybe a touch of humor? Lord knows there is  not much of
that around and we could use it. " I was speaking with Mrs.  Figge the other
day about slugs and the sorts of ways people fight  them in their iris bed and
this is what we decided just before we drank a  beer....."
Just having a column called Newcomers Corner would send a more welcoming
message, to use the term favored by the loathsome politicos of our era.  Keeping
it light but not simpleminded would be the way to go.
I think John Bruce should write this column. He writes very  well and
interestingly and is very smart and sensitive to folks' feelings and  very concerned
about this business of sinking the hook. I'm not volunteering  to do it,
although I think it could actually be a lot of fun, because for  some reason people
misunderstand things I write; or they think I am  putting on airs about
membership; or they don't listen when I  speak to AIS membership woes, although I
have spent some time in the  relevant trenches.
I am, however, volunteering to copy Filardi on  this note.
Happy Valentine's Day, dear loves.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA