AIS: membership: to iris-talk subscribers who are not AIS members

I switched the subject line because I am thinking that our iris-talk non-AIS members would not necessarily be following this membership/bulletin thread....of course, some might and they might delete this one as well.
  I realize that the main thrust at the beginning of this thread was non-renewals and the content/price of the Bulletin but I suspect the Bulletin has little or nothing to do with non-renewals as Linda Mann and Anner (I think) said.
  There are probably many different reasons...some of which may be in the query to non-AIS iris-talk members that follows.
  As I see it we have three differing demographics (hate this 'speak'......)
  1. non-renewing members (are most of these one-year memberships??)
  2. non-joining iris growers
  3. lack of younger members
  Curious as to what are the reasons iris-talk do not join AIS? (They either are iris growers or are interested in finding out more about irises.)
   price of membership dues?
   lack of enthusiasm for joining anything? (Some people are not joiners.)
   lethargy when it comes to modern tall bearded irises?
   why make the commitment when the AIS website is free and loads of other iris info is free online?
   what is AIS and why do these people on this list keep yapping about it?
   don't live near a local iris club and never heard of such a thing as an 'iris show' (exhibition)?
   active in an AIS Section and don't see a need to join AIS?
  Some AIS sections 'seem' to be thriving......is specialization a fact of the 21st century whether we agree or even subscribe to this view?
  Ellen (who also joined AIS by going to the library)

          Ellen Gallagher / ellengalla@yahoo.com / Editor, The Siberian Iris
  Berlin, New Hampshire - USDA Zone 3
Siberian iris list archives: http://www.hort.net/lists/sibrob/
  (1996 - 1998 messages not archived)