RE: AIS: membership: to iris-talk subscribers who are not AIS members

  • Subject: RE: [iris] AIS: membership: to iris-talk subscribers who are not AIS members
  • From: "Steve Szabo" steve@familyszabo.com
  • Date: Tue, 14 Feb 2006 22:42:14 -0500

 > As I see it we have three differing demographics (hate this
'speak'......)

 > 1. non-renewing members (are most of these one-year memberships??)
 > 2. non-joining iris growers
This is me.
 > 3. lack of younger members

> Curious as to what are the reasons iris-talk do not join AIS? (They either
are iris growers or are interested in
> finding out more about irises.)

>   price of membership dues?
I don't even know what the dues are--non-factor.
>   lack of enthusiasm for joining anything? (Some people are not joiners.)
I belong to several organizations, but severely limit my activities with
them now. I sorta got burned out a while back. If I get asked to do
something, I generally will, but not anything that will eat into my limited
free time.
>   lethargy when it comes to modern tall bearded irises?
Strikes me as being poorly worded. I generally go for the standard,
traditional iris form, but I am open to color. I had Thornbird--the one
everyone was talking about a few years ago, and did not like it. It was
moved to another property about 20 minutes away, and when it bloomed there,
I thought it was pretty good. It had better color and more of the form
everyone talked about. Go figure.
>   why make the commitment when the AIS website is free and loads of other
iris info is free online?
This is pretty much it for my iris participation. Only have been to the AIS
site a few times, and the same with other iris sites. I'll occasionally
cruise the growers' sites, but just to get an idea of what a variety looks
like.
>   what is AIS and why do these people on this list keep yapping about it?

Apparently it is some sort of governing body with a lot of politics
involved.
>   don't live near a local iris club and never heard of such a thing as an
'iris show' (exhibition)?
I do live in an area with a club, and have seen one show of theirs. I wasn't
too impressed by what was exhibited, and none of the members that were
present bothered to inquire whether we had any questions or if they could be
of any help. They pretty much hung off to the side in groups and talked
among themselves.
>   active in an AIS Section and don't see a need to join AIS?
Not active in a section, region, whatever. One thing the AIS might want to
do, and it is evident from the discussions here that they do not, but
require that a certain percentage of members of a local group be members of
the AIS. I belonged to a local killie group for some time, and, in order to
remain affiliated with the national group, a certain percentage of members
of the local group needed to be members of the national group. AS I recall
it was something like 75%, though I may be wrong. I no longer keep killies,
and see no need to be plugged into a local organization (there is one in
this area also) nor the national group, though I still do know a number of
the biggies in the local groups and nationally.
>   ????
I grow iris as part of my garden. I like them but I don't have an over
powering need to grow them, nor do I have an interest in maintaining those
that may be rare and/or endangered.
>  Some AIS sections 'seem' to be thriving......is specialization a fact of
the 21st century whether we agree or even
> subscribe to this view?
A thriving section may be due to the people who are there. If they are
dedicated and excited about what they are doing, it infects others. When
that dedication and enthusiasm wane, they will cease to do well until that
spirit is rekindled. The specialization may be merely a conduit rather than
a reason to be.

\\Steve//