AIS:Compulsive Iris Grower

<< Ellen (who also joined AIS by going to the  library)>>

I didn't join by going to the library, but a friend of mine did.   There is
no question my love of the iris came first. I fell in love with  the iris at
the age of fourteen and carried rhizomes of that iris with  me through three
states.  In early 1980's we finally had room to grow  a few things.  Within a few
months, I discovered fall blooming  irises.  Then I gave in to the
Schreiner's advertisement (bakers  dozen) on the back page of Organic Gardening.

This would have sealed my fate had my obsession not already been in  full
force.

The next spring only 3 bloomed . . . Lime Fizz, Jolie, Dusky Evening.   I
spent and an entire week making a fancy dress for my oldest daughter's eighth
grade graduation dance.  I'm sure it wouldn't have taken quite as long if I
hadn't stopped so often to look out the window!

Then she (my oldest daughter) found a placemat at McDonalds just a week or
so later that advertised the local iris show.  I went.  The rest is  history!
At that time, we rarely eat out so it meant to be!   <vbg>

Guess I'd better change the title!

My level of interests and activities have definitely leaned more toward RIS
(Reblooming Iris Society), but I've been active on other levels too.  My
driving compulsion is with the iris-- the plant.

For me, AIS is research material.  Would I still be doing this if I  didn't
hybridze?  I doubt it. I'm a non-joiner and don't belong to any  other clubs!

If I were younger, I would definitely find the Master Gardener's  Association
very appealing.  I like their style.  This is a rapidly  growing program in
my area.  Their members are very enthusiastic.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: