Re: Pigments

Thank you, Dorothy, for your feedback about the article, "Another Approach to
Red" in the Jan BAIS.  Your comments about the ability to follow the main
points pleases me greatly, as I worked rather hard to make a difficult and
technical subject as clear and available to our readership as possible.

I had expressed to Bruce Filardi that I was concerned most would pass over the
article as it looked too technical, too heady at first glance.  He assured me
there would quite a number of people who would find it worthwhile.  I'm
especially glad you did.

I think this area of research and new development has enormous potential
for--and enormous impact on--plant breeding and the development of new

The fact that roses and carnations from the transgenic work very similar to
what can happen with irises, hems and countless other major garden subjects
close to our hearts are already appearing in end-zone markets is astonishing.

As Rick Ernst has pointed out, the work is not simple, the results often
falling short of hopes, but the rose examples I've seen say the efforts are
most emphatically worthwhile.  Those roses were not only beautiful, they were
uniquely different from the ordinary.

Neil Mogensen  Reg 4  z 7  western NC mountains