RE: HYB: Musing on Bud Timing

  • Subject: [iris] RE: HYB: Musing on Bud Timing
  • From: "Mary Swann-Young" MryL1@msn.com
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:32:21 -0500
  • Seal-send-time: Sat, 18 Feb 2006 09:32:21 -0500

Seems like every year I key on a different factor.  First year it was stalks
falling over. Second year bloom form and substance. Then bud count. Then

Starting last fall, I became focused on how slower development of secondary
buds extended the length of time the stalk stayed in bloom, and how much
cleaner and more graceful it looked without a bunch of buds coming on at
roughly the same time.  Immortality got maximum impact out of every bud last
fall.  So did Again And Again. In contrast, Rosalie Figge was a mass of buds
and branches, a nice effect from a distance, but just looked messy to me up

Don't get me wrong!  RF is a terrific rebloomer, and I plan to use it in
breeding.  Will be trying to get the branches and bud count into my babies.

I don't remember this being discussed before.  Would love to hear anyone's
thoughts on bud timing, especially varieties that perform like Immortality in
this regard.  And pass it on to their progeny!

Mary Lou, near Indianapolis, Z5 - sick to death of winter