AIS: membership: to iris-talk subscribers who are not AIS members

Hi,  I haven't been reading these digests lately.  Just downloading them for
a better time to read.
I haven't joined any thing because there is no local club in my city.  I am
not driving over 50 miles to go to the next city that does have a local Iris
club.
I am interested in having iris bloom in my yard BUT I am not interested in
collecting seed pods, hybridizing, etc, etc,  that many of you on this list
are interested in.
This talk goes over my head so I usually just skim the topics to see if
there is anything that I can use.
I wish we had an Iris group here.  Or any garden group (other than the
Master Gardeners) that was interested in getting together to talk about
indoor or outdoor flowers.  I think there is a rose society.  A few years
ago when we redid our back yard, I had over 3- 30gallon garbage cans full of
canna lilly plants and I couldn't find anyone to take them.  Finally one of
my welcome club members took them out to her daughter's high school where
they have a green house.  This past fall I called the school and a teacher
came and got 2 boxes of yellow iris rhizomes, a few cannas and some oxyalis
plants.
I am interested in learning when is a good time to fertilize for MY area,
watering, feeding, taking care of pests, when to transplant, what flowers
should or shouldn't be planted in and around the iris (due to water needs).
I am looking forward to going out into my courtyard this year and seeing all
the iris bloom.  I'm in TX but we are usually lumped together with New
Mexico in zone 10 according to the Sunset Western Garden book.  I've also
seen us listed as USDA Hardiness Zones: 8A and AHS Heat Zones: we are in
zone 9.
So what zone number do you all use???
Bichonly,   Arlene & Krystal K Bichon Frise in El Paso, TX
mailto:arhertel@prodigy.net
outgoing mail checked by McAfee VirusScan version 7.0