From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of George
Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2007 2:33 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] OT: Cut flowers for cemetery

Looking for some advice on cut flowers for cemetery vases.  I just
took over the only blooming thing in the house, which was a big
beautiful calla lily bloom, grown in a pot inside.  Might be frozen
mush after a couple nights around 20 degrees here in zone 6, but
giving it a try.  If that's the case, need a steady supply of stuff to cut.

Last fall after the monument was installed, I took over some dahlias,
a calla lily, and naturally an iris rebloomer that was doing its
thing.  Would like to have more diversification, rather than trying
to pamper calla lilies year round.  Have any of you tried potted
rebloomers indoors, and if so, with what results?  I have in my
garden maybe half a dozen rebloomers for this zone, including
Immortality that I can recall right off the top.  I could grab a
rhizome from one of them at the appropriate time and pot it.  Would I
be better going with something smaller than a TB, and if so, what
variety to accomplish the same thing?

Thinking outside the box, any other ideas?  I refuse to go with those
ugly hunks of plastic stuff that some people call flowers all over
the cemetery.