Re: OT: Cut flowers for cemetery

This time of year you could try cutting branches from Spring-flowering trees and shrubs, and bringing them indoors to force early bloom. I understand it takes about two weeks in a cool room to get the buds to open, and then they last for several weeks indoors in a vase. Not sure how long they will last outdoors. By cutting a few branches each week, you could always have something fresh to take to the cemetery.
kris
Wauwatosa, WI
zone 5

George Schubert wrote:

Folks,

Looking for some advice on cut flowers for cemetery vases. I just took over the only blooming thing in the house, which was a big beautiful calla lily bloom, grown in a pot inside. Might be frozen mush after a couple nights around 20 degrees here in zone 6, but giving it a try. If that's the case, need a steady supply of stuff to cut.

Last fall after the monument was installed, I took over some dahlias, a calla lily, and naturally an iris rebloomer that was doing its thing. Would like to have more diversification, rather than trying to pamper calla lilies year round. Have any of you tried potted rebloomers indoors, and if so, with what results? I have in my garden maybe half a dozen rebloomers for this zone, including Immortality that I can recall right off the top. I could grab a rhizome from one of them at the appropriate time and pot it. Would I be better going with something smaller than a TB, and if so, what variety to accomplish the same thing?

Thinking outside the box, any other ideas? I refuse to go with those ugly hunks of plastic stuff that some people call flowers all over the cemetery.

Thanks,
George