Re: HYB:Germination

The germination process and reduction of germination inhibitors in Bearded Irises only occurs in the presence of water which allows metabolism to occur within the seed.  Otherwise the seed is in a dormant state and very minimal respiration or other metabolism should be occuring.

Otherwise it would only be necessary to store them in the refridgerator for the required amount of time and then plant them.

I had posted earlier a few weeks ago that I had some seeds from a particular cross germinate at 6 weeks after being stored in the refrigerator for a year.  However, this iss apparently only occuring for this one cross and not the others and once all my germination data comes in I'm probably going to propose a theory that the early germination for this particular cross (and other crosses such as with 'Immortality') is genetically controlled.  But really aren't they all?  The norm is really just 12 weeks, some 8, and now I might have a line that is at 6 weeks.

I have a plan to study the factors of dry storage and immediate germination after vernalization this next year after I obtain enough seed from these particular lines of plants.

So, to answer your question, yes, the seed of Beardeds Iris must imbibe water and swell (not necessarily soaked)  for the germination process and reduction of germination inhibitors to occur... in general...until further notice.