Re: HYB:Germination

I think it is a valuable question as some might not completely understand the process.

I think you have simply highlighted a bit of confusion some might have as to when the process actually begins.  It not simply cold storage but wet AND cold together.

The "end" of the process you mentioned would actually be the beginning.  That is assuming that you are talking about vernalization of the seed DRY.  But vernalization does not happen, at least in Iris, when the seed is dry.  It must have imbibed water first.

And I'm sure you have seen mentioned in here about the soaking and rinsing of the seed during their vernalization which may aid in the reduction of inhibitory chemicals in or around the seed.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7