Re: HYB:Germination

<<And I'm sure you have seen mentioned in here about the soaking  and rinsing
of the seed during their vernalization which may aid in the  reduction of
inhibitory chemicals in or around the  seed.>>
Paul, I have been reading and studying about irises & planting iris  seed for
over 20 years.  Yes, I have seen what you speak of above.   Many times.
Many times we, as human beings, accept things as a true just because  we find
it written somewhere, or because someone told us it was the truth.   And we
never check the validity of the statements.  I can't tell you how  many iris
FACTS I was told or read that proved to be untrue!  When my  parents & teachers
told me that the only stupid question is the one you  don't ask?  I believed
I live in a part of the country that has seasons.  Two at least!   This year
will be my batch #21 of spring sprouted seed.  They have all been  outside at
the hands of mother nature.  I've never soaked an iris seed in  the toilet,
bucket, sink or jar of water.  Never in the house.   Never.  In some cases I
have watered the pots once the seed were  planted.  Some years I soaked them once
to settle the seed, and more  recently I've soaked the pots for 5+ days once
all seed are planted in the  fall.  If I feel this has increased my
germination, I will continue.

In my own garden, I've noticed that germination rate is greatly effected by
spring watering.  If I don't supplement the rain in a dry spring, my
germination is quite low.  In some cases I get good germination the next  spring but
in other cases I get nothing.  Germination is turned off OR the  seed spoil.
In most cases I don't dig around in the pots.
This observation was what lead to the original question.
<<But vernalization does not happen, at least in Iris, when the seed  is dry.
 It must have imbibed water first.>>

Paul, I was looking for a hard and fast rule.  You have supplied  it.
I was hoping someone had actually tried doing this and could tell us that  it
didn't work!

Well . . . I'm not about to stick wet seed in my shed.  That  would be rough
on the paper envelopes!  <vbg>  And, too, I'd  have to worry about sprouts
during the winter!  Not my goal.

Please keep us updated on the results of your experiments.
We're here to share information, help each other, and inspire the  beginners!
  In the best of all possible worlds.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!