Re: HYB: Germination

Thanks Paul. I'm the one with all the seedlings from IMMORTALITY X CELEBRATION SONG. I made that cross back when I was planting seeds outdoors the 'regular' way. So I don't know how much chilling the seeds required to germinate, but suspect it was the 'usual' three months.

There was also a lot of second year germination on that cross in addition to the first year's seedlings.

Many/most of the crosses I've made using IMMORTALITY as pod parent have had poor germination rates (less than 20%, often around 10%), but a few, including CELEBRATION SONG, have been much higher - more than 30%. Reading your mind here, but maybe you were thinking ease of germination meant less chilling requirement?

I've only had one TB cross germinate while being refrigerated, and that one was in the fridge for 5 months!

Until the last couple of years, <none> of my crosses were with main season bloomers (early to mid) because they were either frozen out completely or damaged and not fertile. So most of my germination experiences may not be very relevant for others, except in their unusually bad (i.e., late freeze) years.

<I was referencing Immortality and early gemination of it's seedlings because someone else had posted that as I can recall. I could be wrong. I remember one of the parents of those Immortality crosses was Celebration Song. So maybe that parent contributes early germination to its seedlings and not Immortality.>