Re: HYB: germination

LOL - well, we keep trying! And now I've actually had a few bloom the first year, now that I'm 'cheating' and getting them to germinate in January indoors. I think Betty has first year bloom in a many of her seedlings.

But I take your point.

<As iris seeds don't bloom in the first year they germinate, it is not vernalization per se.

 Chuck Chapman>

Not me - I want them all to germinate without <any> stratification! <g> As long as I'm growing them indoors.

But I know what you mean, Paul. Even after 12 weeks of chilling, there will usually be one flush of germination once temperatures get above 50oF, then may or may not be more stragglers coming up for weeks, following each additional chilling spell at or below around 40o, based on what I'm seeing on the sunporch.

<I would be perfectly happy if all the seeds just germinated at 12 weeks vernalization. That would be easy!

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7>