Re: HYB: ?question germination - dormancy, seed coat

Anybody have thoughts/comments about the role of an intact seed coat in dormancy of TB seeds?

I haven't gone back to check the archived discussions, but I remember Sharon McAllister and Donald Eaves talking about embryo culture in seeds that were otherwise unable to germinate on their own. And that nicking the seed coat <can> reduce the effect of inhibitors present in the seed coat.

But from other things I've read about inhibitors that are removed by moist chilling, I had the impression that simply removing or breaking a hole in the seed coat would <not> (necessarily?) eliminate the need for chilling.

Anybody know?

If not specifically about iris seeds, how about other species?