Re: Re: HYB: ?question germination - dormancy, seed coat

I believe I am one of the few on this forum that uses the cutting method to germinate reluctant seeds.  I have found that not removing enough of the tissue at the micropylar end (area where the root emerges) still has an inhibitory effect and the seed still does not germinate.  For those seeds that had this happen (and hadn't started to rot from the damage) I then removed more tissue and they began to germinate.  This was in the first few years I used the method and have now gotten a better judgemnt of just how much to remove... as well as not too much.

I also have some pure aril seed from the ASI seed exchange that I am growing this year.  I went ahead and removed their aril collars and part of the seed coat just in case there would be interference.

So, we'll see as they haven't completed their 12 weeks in the refrigerator.  none have showed any sign of germinating yet, but then arils are known for being difficult and having protracted germination beyond that of the other Bearded.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7