In a message dated 2/17/2007 10:15:55 P.M. Central Standard Time,
pharcher@mindspring.com writes:

<<So one must be careful how long they are soaked.  Fresh  air or water
(oxygen) needs to be refreshed to some  extent.>>
Anything can sour if left under the wrong conditions.  Although there  are
things that can be considered better when soured, I don't think iris seed  are
among them.  (Neither are forgotten beach towels in plastic  containers! But
that's another forum!)
We've talked before about iris seed that pop.   When I  stated that I don't
dig around in pots much, I was really saying that I don't  dump each pot and
check for seed or count the seed.  I stick the pots  over to one side and wait
to see if they sprout another year.  (In my  experience the 2nd years
germination is greatly improved if these pots are also  watered in the spring during
the window of germination opportunity.)
When I do check during the germination period, I may find  poppers.   If you
pinch a viable seed between your fingers, the  seed is hard.  Poppers pop!  1)
Did they start to sprout and  then freeze before the seed coat cracked?  Or
2) did they  sour because they stayed too wet during our cloudy springs?

When a favored cross doesn't put up even one sprout I do check!   Especially,
if it doesn't sprout the second year.  Usually, I find NO  seed in the pot!
Outside a forensic lab, an empty pot offers no  evidence to support one theory
over the other.
If I've interpreted my readings correctly, the reason for hanging the iris
seed in a toilet tank is two fold.  One of those reasons being to supply
oxygen in the fresh water supply.  This is accomplished in outdoor  plantings
through rain.  Or, during dry years, through watering daily with  a hose.
Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!