HYB:Germination:Observations:Temperature and time

I'm not a scientist.  I simply observe in my own garden.

In the spring, I eagerly await the first sprouts in the iris seed  pots!
This can happen any time from the third week in February to the  first week of
April, depending on the season.  Spring temperatures trigger  the beginning of
the observable parts of outdoor iris seed  germination.

A part of my spring routine is to note when the first sprout appears
(visible) on each cross!  In earlier years I also counted the seedlings  about once a
week and noted it in the workbooks.  Several years ago, I  determined that
the time span from first sprout to last sprout, of a given  cross, was
approximately a month.   This has held true without  regard to the time that sprouting
began for that cross.

This one month span seems programmed into the iris seed, and may or may not
be connected to the bloom cycle.  Early bloomers sprout early and late
bloomers sprout late?  Anyone kept records??  Anyway, when a month has  elapsed the
seed shut down.  I suspect this is DNA triggered by time.   Is it day length?
I have no clue.  It's never been on my HAVE TO KNOW  list!  I just know it
happens.

This month of time each spring is when I find it crucial to keep the pots
moist.

My observation?  The iris seed has completed a cycle at this  point.  If left
outside, more seed may sprout the next spring but will  follow the same
cycle.  Sometimes a few seeds will sprout in the same  (first) fall.  (Or any
fall.) These do not require the same cycling as  the average seed.  The program
(DNA) is different for these seed.

What is different??  What is missing, or present, in their  DNA compared to
the average iris seed?

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!