Re: HYB:Germination:oxygen

In a message dated 2/18/2007 8:49:46 A.M. Central Standard Time,
tasquierloic@cs.com writes:

<<Unless, and this is what i'd really want to know,  the  second year
are of a better quality than the first year ones,  therefore worth the extra
work and wait !>>
This may depend on what you consider to be better  qualities!
Worth the wait?  Short answer:  YES!!!!!!!!!
In earlier years, I didn't really pay enough attention.  In the  years before
I move out here (2003) I was growing seedlings at a friends  house.   Since
I've moved out here I've had some very interesting  results.
Long answer:  I'll give examples.
1812 is Lemon Reflection X All Revved Up (Wilkerson 2006).  (All  Revved Up
is (Innocent Star x Radiant Bliss) and Radiant Bliss is (Earl of Essex  x Hot
All Revved Up is what some term an everbloomer or continuous bloomer.   (A
sporadic with easy trigger) Last summer was very hot, yet it still started  it's
rebloom in July.
I had six pods in the cross with a total of 245 seed.  Planted out  about 150
seedlings.  Biggest planting I've made of one cross.  92  were planted in
2004 and the remainder in 2005.  2004 was a great year for  rebloom, with a mild
summer.  I watered the seedlings when needed  and used a light application of
Miracle Grow once a month.  By  the time a freeze cut down the stalks, 50 of
these had stalks and 30 had opened  blooms.  Planted in May and started
blooming in late October.  Some  bloomed in the fall of 2005 & sent up stalks in
2006.  (Only one sprout  in 2006 so I emptied most of the 10 pots.)
The rest of the plants were planted in mid June of 2005.  Watered just
enough to keep them alive.  Two tried to bloom that fall but were cut down  with an
earlier freeze.  (earlier than 2004) Good maiden bloom in  2006.
**  Rebloom started in this second group in June.  (yes, this is  rebloom
since they originally bloomed in April) Three of them bloomed in both  June and
July while 3 did not bloom until July.  One of the three that  started in June
put up multiple stalks and bloomed again in the fall.   Another had the best
form of any that have successfully rebloomed from this  group, and may be the
best form of the cross.
Overall, there is a wide variety of plant habits.  Lots of  rebloom.  There
are a couple of white seedlings, half a dozen or  so pale blue or lavender, a
small number of clear yellow seedlings, some old  gold seedlings, and a wide
variety of old gold with fall overlays of blue and/or  purple.
The main difference has been the dates and type of rebloom as seen in the
two groups.  I consider the rebloom DATES of the second group to be a  'better'
Then we have this:  1810:1605-1:9415-1Re(((Victoria Falls x Vanity) x
Immortality) x (Latest Style x Glistening Icicle))) x (Feed Back x Champagne
Elegance) X Light Rebuff
Fifty Two seeds planted in 2 pots.  There were goals I had for this  cross
that didn't materialize.  However, I still consider it a  milestone for reasons
I won't explore here.
2004: First year 3 seedlings sprouted.  One of the three died of  "failure to
grow," while the other two bloomed that fall.  1810-1Re was  gorgeous in
maiden bloom.  Not so pretty in subsequent bloom seasons but it  has bloomed in
July.  Has excellent branching.  1810-2Re has  terrific substance, as do
several, but may have other problems that can't be  ignored.  Grayed lavender with
red shoulder markings.
2005: Another 38 sprouted.  The first seedlings to sprout the spring  of
2005.  Another 16 have additional, not spring, bloom.  Some good  and some bad.  I
refer you to 1810-03Re and 1810-15Re in the  archives. _{Disarmed}
HYB:Seedling:1810-3re_ (http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/jul06/msg00103.html)
AND  _{Disarmed}  1810-15re_
I expect these two to be important in future breeding.  They have  branching,
substance & early rebloom.
Not perfect, but worth the effort it took to row the pots up next to the
current crop and water them as I watered the new ones.  Not much effort in  my
opinion for the results.
This cross (1810) has rewarded my trust in the genetics of my seedlings,  and
my sometimes limited patience.  Often I will use a seedling  based, not on
rebloom, but my faith in the genetics involved.  I am being  rewarded.
Another picture?  Third year sprout!!  <very big  grin>  _1708-3_
(http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may06/msg00548.html)     I think it's a keeper!
The top bloom also matured a pod with freezer  pollen from RENOWN.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!