Re: HYB: 2nd yr germination

<<Unless, and this is what i'd really want to know,  the  second year
seedlings
are of a better quality than the first year ones, therefore worth the extra
work and wait !>>

Loic, this is a question several of us started paying attention to after it was brought up here a few years ago.

Joe Ghio found STARRING (I think that's the one) germinating in an abandoned seedbed the second year, and after seeing it bloom, has started intentionally holding over his seeds for a second year. All of his recent introductions that say 'pedigree unknown' came from that one abandoned seedbed. I think. Or maybe he's lost labels on some subsequent ones. That's the biggest difficulty I've encountered - labels seem to vanish (not the lettering, the label itself) over time.

This will be the first year that I will have somewhat extensive data on traits of first vs second year germinated seedlings. So far, I <think> the second year plants tend to be stronger, at least in some crosses, and colors differ. But I have results from very few crosses, certainly nothing even <close> to Betty's experience!

Will post more after I see bloom this year.