To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Sunday, February 18, 2007 6:18 PM
Subject: Re: [iris]HYB:Germination:oxygen

In a message dated 2/18/2007 8:49:46 A.M. Central Standard Time,
tasquierloic@cs.com writes:

<<Unless, and this is what i'd really want to know,  the  second year
seedlings
are of a better quality than the first year ones, therefore worth the extra
work and wait !>>

This may depend on what you consider to be better  qualities!

Worth the wait?  Short answer:  YES!!!!!!!!!

In earlier years, I didn't really pay enough attention. In the years before I move out here (2003) I was growing seedlings at a friends house. Since
I've moved out here I've had some very interesting  results.

Long answer:  I'll give examples.

1812 is Lemon Reflection X All Revved Up (Wilkerson 2006). (All Revved Up is (Innocent Star x Radiant Bliss) and Radiant Bliss is (Earl of Essex x Hot
Streak))

All Revved Up is what some term an everbloomer or continuous bloomer.   (A
sporadic with easy trigger) Last summer was very hot, yet it still started it's
rebloom in July.

I had six pods in the cross with a total of 245 seed. Planted out about 150
seedlings.  Biggest planting I've made of one cross.  92  were planted in
2004 and the remainder in 2005. 2004 was a great year for rebloom, with a mild summer. I watered the seedlings when needed and used a light application of Miracle Grow once a month. By the time a freeze cut down the stalks, 50 of
these had stalks and 30 had opened  blooms.  Planted in May and started
blooming in late October. Some bloomed in the fall of 2005 & sent up stalks in
2006.  (Only one sprout  in 2006 so I emptied most of the 10 pots.)

The rest of the plants were planted in mid June of 2005.  Watered just
enough to keep them alive. Two tried to bloom that fall but were cut down with an
earlier freeze.  (earlier than 2004) Good maiden bloom in  2006.

**  Rebloom started in this second group in June.  (yes, this is  rebloom
since they originally bloomed in April) Three of them bloomed in both June and July while 3 did not bloom until July. One of the three that started in June put up multiple stalks and bloomed again in the fall. Another had the best form of any that have successfully rebloomed from this group, and may be the
best form of the cross.

Overall, there is a wide variety of plant habits. Lots of rebloom. There are a couple of white seedlings, half a dozen or so pale blue or lavender, a small number of clear yellow seedlings, some old gold seedlings, and a wide
variety of old gold with fall overlays of blue and/or  purple.

The main difference has been the dates and type of rebloom as seen in the
two groups. I consider the rebloom DATES of the second group to be a 'better'
quality!

Then we have this:  1810:1605-1:9415-1Re(((Victoria Falls x Vanity) x
Immortality) x (Latest Style x Glistening Icicle))) x (Feed Back x Champagne
Elegance) X Light Rebuff

Fifty Two seeds planted in 2 pots.  There were goals I had for this  cross
that didn't materialize. However, I still consider it a milestone for reasons
I won't explore here.

2004: First year 3 seedlings sprouted. One of the three died of "failure to
grow," while the other two bloomed that fall.  1810-1Re was  gorgeous in
maiden bloom. Not so pretty in subsequent bloom seasons but it has bloomed in
July.  Has excellent branching.  1810-2Re has  terrific substance, as do
several, but may have other problems that can't be ignored. Grayed lavender with
red shoulder markings.

2005: Another 38 sprouted.  The first seedlings to sprout the spring  of
2005. Another 16 have additional, not spring, bloom. Some good and some bad. I
refer you to 1810-03Re and 1810-15Re in the  archives. _{Disarmed}
HYB:Seedling:1810-3re_ (http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/jul06/msg00103.html)
AND  _{Disarmed}  1810-15re_
(http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/aug06/msg00123.html)

I expect these two to be important in future breeding. They have branching,
substance & early rebloom.

Not perfect, but worth the effort it took to row the pots up next to the
current crop and water them as I watered the new ones. Not much effort in my
opinion for the results.

This cross (1810) has rewarded my trust in the genetics of my seedlings, and
my sometimes limited patience.  Often I will use a seedling  based, not on
rebloom, but my faith in the genetics involved.  I am being  rewarded.

Another picture?  Third year sprout!!  <very big  grin>  _1708-3_
(http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may06/msg00548.html) I think it's a keeper!
The top bloom also matured a pod with freezer  pollen from RENOWN.

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!