HYB:Germination:Removing Inhibitors:Urban Legend??

In a message dated 2/18/2007 6:21:04 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jijones@usjoneses.com writes:

<<In thinking about germination inhibitors, one should  remember what the
evolutionary reason (or benefit) for the inhibitors is:  that being to
protect the species from  extermination>>

The various iris seed are well programmed for survival of the  species.
Unfortunately, that programming works contrary to the needs of  the hybridizers.

Breaking dormancy:  As seed germinate they release a chemical.  I  can't
remember what it's called.  I thought it was the same compound as  released by an
apple, but research shows that the apple releases ethylene, which  doesn't
sound right.  I'm thinking anasomething or other?   I'm  going on a memory that
is over 30 years old.

Years ago I read that seed planted in a clump (not just iris seed) would
germinate better.  The released chemical was thought to have a  ripening effect
on the rest of the seed.

Is this an Urban Legend?  At some point, I was told this is not  true.
Anyone able to clarify this for me?

Betty W.  in South-central KY Zone 6 ---If you don't cross them, you can't
plant them!
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website:
Where the seeds are in the pots once  again!