Re: HYB:Germination:oxygen

On Feb 18, 2007, at 11:34 PM, loic tasquier wrote:

The more inhibitors, the better prepared for survival, so maybe the seeds that germinate the second years ARE better !

Well yes perhaps better, but what does better mean to the plant. It may or may not agree with what we think is better. An old doggy eared floppy flower on a plant that resists flooding better is certainly better for the plant but not of much value for us.

Still interesting to investigate.

Worth keeping track to check this hypothesis.

Thanks John for reminding me Nature's law, always cleverer to go with it than against !

----- Original Message ----- From: "John I Jones" <jijones@usjoneses.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Monday, February 19, 2007 1:15 AM
Subject: Re: [iris]HYB:Germination:oxygen

I have not read all of this thread, and maybe someone mentioned this already, but if not here goes:

In thinking about germination inhibitors, one should remember what the evolutionary reason (or benefit) for the inhibitors is: that being to protect the species from extermination from some event that happens after germination takes place (like a hard freeze after a prolonged early warming period) The species does not want all the seeds to germinate at the same time so that if some catastrophe happens the whole species is not wiped out.

Different iris species have re-markedly different inhibitor characteristics. Arils for instance are thought to be viable for years (over 10 as I recall). Some are so difficult to sprout, the embryo culture is often a preferred method despite its difficulties.